Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Procrastination (sung to the tune of Anticipation)


Remember the Carly Simon song Anticipation? Well I substituted the word procrastination for anticipation. That's my song for the day, all day long. Here I'll sing it for you;

"Procrastination, Procrastination is making me late, is keeping me waiting".

Today I had a painting deadline for the Utah Watercolor Society Fall show. First I pulled up the call for entry and read that I could email my image, but the entry fee and form was also due today and it had to go to Park City. Heck, I hadn't even painted my painting yet, I didn't have time to run to Park City! So it was without too much resignation to my fate of missing the deadline that I posted my entry form dilemma on Facebook.

It wasn't long before my UWS/Facebook friends contacted me with the glad tidings that the entry form only had to be postmarked today. Woohoo, I was off the hook and could enter the show after all. Or was I ON the hook? I still didn't have a painting to submit. I have to confess I did have a half-way-done painting that I started last winter. I had started it with the intent to submit it for UWS Spring show which was last May. Of course I didn't get it done. Now seemed the perfect opportunity to finish it.
The Fall show also has a theme which is your painting should illustrate a poem. The poem I chose is by E. E. Cummings titled Seeker of Truth...
seeker of truth
follow no path
all paths lead where
truth is here
I finished the painting, took a picture of it and emailed it off, took the entry form directly to the post office, watched it get stamped with today's date. Whew!

So there you have it- a full confession of my procrastination. There is a consequence though. Procrastinating means that you don't always do your best work, at least I don't. The painting is ok, and at least I had something to enter. So I am content in my procrastination today and can honestly say "if it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done".

No comments: