Thursday, January 15, 2009

The reason behind my Heart paintings


I have been busy all week long making 'Fine H'arts'. You know, hearts made of canvas and painted in acrylics.
Here is the main reason I started making them...
This summer my mother passed away, and I inherited her Bernina sewing machine and her Babylock serger.
Being a full time artist, and not doing as much sewing as I used to when my kids were young; I decided I would use these gifts to create some of my art. My mother would have loved them.
It took a while for me to think up an idea. Of course hearts aren't a new concept, but they are pretty fun to make. My first hearts are around 10" x 7" but I am going to make bigger ones. So stay tuned. I hope they sell well, so I can keep making them. It takes a bit longer to make them and then paint them. They are really cute in person and they have a hanger so they can hang on the wall like a real piece of art - which they are!

2 comments:

Miccosukee said...

Cathy,
I love all your work and it's not just because we share the same maiden name of Darling. There are several of your works that I would have loved to buy except you deal with eBay and they have this new relationship with eBay. I don't do business with Paypal. If we can do business in a different manner, I would love to buy one of your beautiful sheep paintings. Let me know if that is possible.
trisha
briarrosefarm(at)hotmail(dot)com

Catherine Darling said...

Hi Trisha,
I got your message and emailed you. It is great to be a Darling! Maybe we are related.
Catherine