Saturday, September 04, 2010

Dancing with Dogs - Revisited


Last March I had a show at Local Colors and one of the paintings I did for it was Dancing with Dogs. Recently I entered this painting in the Intermountain Society of Artists Fall Show. Tonight was the reception and awards ceremony. I was happy to win a 3rd place award for it, along with a Recognition award for another painting called "What's Next". It is always nice to win awards, it kind of makes you feel you are doing something right with your art.
Being one of the last to leave from anything I attend (I don't know why - probably I gab too much) I noticed a lady that kept going over to Dancing with Dogs. Then she was trying to measure it with a string since there wasn't any measuring tapes around. Well of course I stepped right up and told her the measurements - 3' x 4'. She told me she was a volunteer at the Cultural Celebration Center (where this show is). Her daughter had come in and looked at the show first and told her mom that she saw a painting that she just loved. Then the mom got a chance to take a look and found a painting she really liked. Both of them loved Dancing with Dogs! So.... after calling her son to make sure it would fit above their piano, she bought it! Whoo-hoo, an $1800 painting!
When you sell in a gallery you don't often get the opportunity to meet the people who buy your paintings. I can't tell you what a treat it is when you get to meet them and you know your painting is going to a good home.
So tonight, I am counting my blessings and being thankful and grateful to be an artist. It is a joyful occupation.

5 comments:

Catherine Darling said...

Thanks nollyposh! I like your name - it would be a great title for a painting.

Tumbledown said...

Congratulations! I've always loved your work!

anotherlinda said...

That's great Cathy...I have loved that painting since I first saw it! Congrats to you! Linda

Renee Troy said...

OMG! That was so inspiring! Congratulations on your sale. The painting is absolutely awesome and I'm sure you are so pleased that it went to a good home.

I too am in a gallery and have trouble valuing and putting a price on my work. Your entry was so encouraging. Thank you.

Amanda Makepeace said...

You're in the EBSQ Friday Five.